Tuesday, October 17, 2006

What kind of learning for my daughter?

Shortly after making the innaugural pulse, I became the father of a beautiful girl. I witnessed the whole event and cut the cord.

Will I subject my child to all the latest analysis, theory, methods and techniques of education?

Let's see if I can be provocative. I will say that this birth was not part of a course I took in class, or at a distance or by simulation software. This could be called experiential learning, but I'd rather not view this learning I'm experiencing as subject to any of the competing learning theories in academia. This is part of Brian's lifelong learning.

One of the limitations of theories of learning is that they work with generalities, with finding common threads in the learning of large groups of people. I remember the way the classroom worked when I was young(er). Well, I'm referring back to the 60s to 80s, but I think it still applies. If there was good classroom discipline, the students whose learning preferences, styles or aptitudes agreed with the teaching content, ideology, method or philosophy were the ones who benefitted the most from the classroom time. If there was less control in the classroom, the squeeky wheel or more aggressive students took time away from task for the others. I think the average application of the popular theories optimized learning for only a fraction of the targeted learners.

I own my learning approach, methods and techniques. It is a learning practice of one, and so will by my daughter's learning. It has to work: nurture her desire to learn and learn productively. That might be hard to measure. I do, however, like the idea of providing a productive learning environment. Maybe she will learn at schome, or in a personal learning environment, but I'm hoping she can learn anywhere anytime and without batteries.

3 Comments:

At 11:13 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

The question is: How is Hannah going to master her father's ability of quick wit?

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger Mr. GluSniffer said...

Congratulations!

I certainly have found watching how my own child learns (he's 4) and puts things together has had a fairly powerful influence on how I approach issues of teaching and learning.

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger Brian said...

Quick wit? Good question jenn. Oh yeah, I'd better respond quickly. Um, I think it's a combination of nature and nurture. I'm going to try to give her the best opportunities to discover and develop her talents - social skills and critical thinking included.

Thanks Brian. There is such an incentive to examine how I approach issues of teaching and learning now that it is so close to home. In a few years, I'll have an adolescent to answer to.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home