Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Apples and oranges: iPods and other brand MP3 players

A year ago I bought an MP3 player for about $120. It seemed everyone was getting iPods, but I thought I wouldn't listen to that many songs between charging the battery and downloading a new set of sound files. Besides, with a USB connector instead of extra cables, my MP3 player doubles as a memory stick. I can transfer files between work and home as well as listen to recorded 3 hour lectures, books on tape, podcast news and entertainment for my learning on the go.

Apple and iPod seem to lead the way and then other companies come out with more affordable everyman versions.

Then iPod comes out with video, but it's a little steep for me when my PDA can also play video on the go - albeit not as easily. I could buy memory cards to watch longer video, but I don't know of any educational video that is really designed well for iPod or PDA viewing.

Universities are using streaming video, but I think video podcasts for mobile learning would be great. There are many steps to increase academic awareness and set up the framework for producing and distributing video podcasts at schools. I like what Dalhousie University is doing for promoting videos for mobile learning in Medicine.
I remember Dalhousie and Acadia University giving all new students a laptop. I didn't go there. Now I hear Duke University and others are giving students iPods.

Now iPod comes out with an encyclopedia-in-my-pocket.

Maybe I should consider going back and starting another degree. How much is tuition these days? Is the free iPod or laptop a good deal?

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for a free iPod and manage with what I've got. I do, after all, have a red paperclip, some apples and oranges.

Any offers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home